Monday 29 April 2019

bitcoinsblogger.blogspot.in

bitcoinsblogger.blogspot.in
bitcoinsblogger.blogspot.in
bitcoinsblogger.blogspot.in
lamboblogging

I've always loved BMWs, especially the older ones. Ever since getting my license 3 years ago, anytime I was out and saw an E46 M3 I freaked out and got super excited. I absolutely loved seeing them on the road, and if I saw one in a parking lot I would go check it out. It had been my dream car (right after an R34 GTR). Unfortunately I was unable to get one for my first car as my dad wanted me to get something AWD, automatic, and with a warranty so it was out of the question.

But recently I had taken a lot more interest in them, learning a lot about them through a new friend I met at school with a 330i. I started looking around online for M3s for sale. One day at an autocross event in Winston-Salem, I got the opportunity to take a ride in an E46 M3 for a lap. It was the spec I had been looking for myself: a 2004 model, rag top convertible, with the six speed manual transmission. After those quick 51 seconds around the course, I just knew I had to get one. I found the perfect one 3 days later, an Imola Red 2006 convertible with a stick for an amazing price and from an enthusiast owner.

I managed to convince my parents to let me sell my Infiniti Q50 Hybrid Sport and buy the M3, as they didn't expect me to still want an old 2006 car 4 years later. And with the CPO warranty expiring on the Infiniti soon, we also realized how rare of a car the Hybrid Sport actually is and how expensive the parts would be and that it would be impossible to maintain myself due to all the tech and modernness. While the hybrid in and of itself was rare, the Sport trim was even rarer and a shocking amount of wear items and parts were Hybrid Sport specific which meant an aftermarket didn't exist and OEM replacements would be very expensive. I only used the CPO warranty twice in my 3 years owning it with 80,000 miles on the clock, yet the bills for that would have ran me over $5,000. That included a small glitch where the door wouldn't always unlock when you put your hand in the handle. It required new keys, new locks, and a new Body Control Module. Along with that, the car had already lost a lot of its value, and was doomed to plummet even further as all Infinitis do. In the next few years, even a single repair would cost more than the car is worth, which it would need as rubber gets old, engine and suspension parts wear out, batteries lose their charge, ect. As fun as that car was with it's instant torque, cool tech, and being an ultimate highway slayer/cruiser. It had a sloppy and slow transmission, completely dead and electric steering, and an unpredictable AWD system which was terrible and would cause uncontrollable spinouts if traction control was ever disabled with its 472lb/ft of torque. It was meant to be a great commuter car, which it excelled at, but it was terrible for what I wanted to use it for: backroads, autocross, and just fun and engaging casual cruising.

I had my M3 shipped from Colorado to Maryland just before I came home for Spring Break from college and it got there the day after I got back home. I had been driving the M3 solely for 4 days before taking my last drive in the Infiniti to be traded in. The Infiniti didn't come close to the driving feel of my new M3. I hadn't realized it because I never drove other cars for extended periods of time, but the steering was so disconnected from the road it felt unnatural. I couldn't believe I was able to use that everyday and believe it was great.

As much as I miss that car and all the memories I had with it, I am way more happy driving my M3 everyday which has everything I ever wanted in a car. Its rear wheel drive, a convertible, and stickshift. The handling is remarkable, even on "the cheapest tires that would fit" (soon to be replaced), it feels so stable at any speeds and it's almost like curves and corners in the road don't exist. I had always been a “all the windows down, everyday, any time” kind of guy. I know the coupe looks better, handles better, has less problems, and is better in every way. But I wouldn't trade the convertible for one, it’s just way more fun having the top down on a warm spring day with the wind flowing through your hair. Also, it was way cheaper, I couldn't have afforded a car with the same maintenance history as this one if it was a coupe. Wanting the least desirable M3 to the majority of people (a stickshift convertible) has been a blessing. Most convertible buyers want an SMG to cruise in a quick car with the top down. Most stickshift buyers want the coupe due to weight, handling, and looks. The convertible was a bigger deal for me than being a bit faster or handling slightly better. It has been an absolute blast owning this car and I've already done a few maintenance items where the aftermarket is cheap and plentiful. Working on it has been rather easy due to the plentiful guides (though a bit harder than expected, neither me nor my buddy realized there were more differences in the ///M model than we thought).

Anyways, driving through a city yesterday for the first time, I had multiple people stop and compliment my car. I could feel they had the same sense of joy and enthusiasm that I always had seeing when I saw an E46 M3 around. I noticed this to an extent driving around my town where many people would break their necks and look at my car. But driving through the city with tons of people, my buddy driving behind me said he'd just see people left and right passing by taking a look at my car. I just can't believe that I am that guy now. Being the one who is actually driving the E46 M3, the one who made my day every time I saw one driving down the road. My car is now the one I would see in a parking lot, and take a few minutes to stop and admire. It's that I just realized that I own a car that other people will see and make their day. I hadn't thought of that until now, and I am super happy and humbled that many people will see it as it is my daily. Even though it's not a particularly expensive car, seeing an M3 was just as, or even more amazing for me to see than a supercar. And I know there are many out there who felt the same as me. I just think that's really cool.

I feel very privileged to be driving this car and will be keeping it for as long as I am alive. I feel very lucky that I was able to attain my dream car at only 20 years old (also helps that my dream car was relatively cheap compared to other people’s dreams of a Lamborghini or McLaren F1). I am very excited to be able to share my ownership experience and the same excitement I used to get with other people just by driving down the road. After looking back at my last two months of ownership, I realized this experience is not far from the experience of owning a supercar. While less people will recognize an E46 M3 over say a new Lamborghini Aventador. The enthusiasm of those who know about it will be as great, or even greater than if they saw a new supercar. I just love my car.

EDIT: Sorry this went a bit long, I just wanted to share my story about owning my M3 so far. And how excited I am to finally own the car that absolutely made my day anytime I used to see one. It was just a sudden realization for me that I am now the guy driving the car I loved seeing around. Also I'm wondering if anyone else felt this way after buying their M3 or other dream car?

Obligatory picture of her looking all nice and pretty on a beautiful spring day



Submitted April 29, 2019 at 02:57PM by TypicalM3Driver http://bit.ly/2UNDhaL
via Blogger http://bit.ly/2V4Wf1M
April 29, 2019 at 08:32PM
via Blogger http://bit.ly/2XUEeQM
April 29, 2019 at 10:58PM
via Blogger http://bit.ly/2V4lH7t
April 30, 2019 at 01:57AM
via Blogger http://bit.ly/2DD1ye0
April 30, 2019 at 04:48AM

No comments:

Post a Comment