Monday 31 December 2018

lamboblogging

2018 Year In Review

I started following this sub just before the start of 2018, but failed to actually submit my rough list of games I planned to complete. Which is probably a good thing, because my plans for gaming shifted a ton mid-February due to starting out-of-state travel for work. In February I purchased a New 3DS XL to play games during the work week while living out of a hotel and played my PC/Xbox/PS4 on the weekends.

As a note, I am trying to clear my backlog roughly based on release date so basically everything I played this year was from 2012 or before.

Based on Month Completed

  • January
    • Rayman Legends
  • February
    • Rogue Legacy
  • March
    • Ghost Trick
  • April
  • May
  • June
    • Dark Souls
    • Fire Emblem Awakening
    • Knack
    • 999 (Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors)
  • July
  • August
    • Forza Horizon
    • Legend of Zelda
    • Metroid
    • Army of Two
    • Zelda II: The Adventures of Link
    • Banjo Tooie
    • Crackdown
  • September
    • Fable 3
    • Marlow Briggs and the Mask of Death
    • Star Wars The Force Unleashed 2
    • Gears of War 3
    • Child of Eden
    • Outland
  • October
    • Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
    • Shadows of the Damned
  • November
    • Hitman: Blood Money
  • December
    • Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts
  • Other
    • PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds

Top 3

  1. Forza Horizon - Wow! This game was everything I have ever wanted in a racing game! The worlds fastest cars barreling through the mountains of Colorado while some of the most iconic electronic music blasts through your speakers. The Horizon Festival brings the location to life. A hub with carnival rides and concerts playing all through the night. Airplanes and hot-air balloons cutting through the open sky. The races are fun as they stay unique and cut through various terrain. Racing several others all in VW Beatles through city streets and through city parks. Or having the well-known supercars do a lap around the entire map averaging 200+ MPH. Sometimes having events where all you're tasked with is driving a classic hot-rod or supercharged car out to a unique location and snapping a photograph. I've only heard great things about the sequels to this game, but I think it'll be hard to top the first entry to this series.
  2. Dark Souls - This game is incredible. It's the reason I completed zero games in the months of April and May. Logging around 60 hours I thoroughly enjoyed every bit of it. Although I do have a confession in that I used a guide during several portions of the game for my completionist habits. Most of the time I would play until I felt I had exhausted or fully explored a zone and then turned to a guide. Without fail, every single time I would learn about unique items I had missed or NPCs tucked away that I would have never noticed. The sheer depth of this game is astounding.
  3. Ghost Trick - My first game completed on my 3DS. It's technically an original Nintendo DS game, but I found it still holds up extremely well. This game has a simple mechanic of moving your ghost spirit around to perform "tricks" on objects that trigger some event or chain of events. All in the name of figuring out why you're dead in the first place! The best part of this game is in the animations. The objects and characters all move so smoothly that it's just pleasant to watch. And the unique cast of characters you meet along the way help to lighten the mood for a game about death. I typically despise adventure games, but this one was such a unique take on the point-and-click adventure that I didn't even realize it was one.

Conclusion

Overall I am extremely happy with how this year turned out. Completing exactly 24 single player games and then having a consistent multiplayer game with PUBG when my friends wanted to play. The most significant accomplishment for me was clearing out a huge chunk from my Xbox 360 backlog thanks to Xbox One Backwards Compatibility. Also the 3DS Virtual Console allowed me to play NES, SNES, Gameboy games, which helped me to finally complete some of those old games that I could never beat as a kid.



Submitted December 31, 2018 at 11:40PM by Fluxuate23 http://bit.ly/2R53tRd

No comments:

Post a Comment