Friday 28 June 2019

2019 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack Widebody: Why I’d Buy It – Scott Evans

“What car should I buy?” It’s a question consumers ask themselves every day, but what would features editor Scott Evans drive? Keep reading for the answer, and see other editors’ picks here.

You’ve heard it a hundred times by now and you’re still here. Cars are dying, the news says. Automakers are canceling sedans and coupes left and right, but you don’t want an SUV like everyone else on the block. You want a car, dammit, and I say make the point with a big, smokey burnout. Do what I’d do: Get a Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack Widebody.

You ask me, the R/T Scat Pack is the perfect Challenger. I know, I know, everyone gets all hot and bothered about the Hellcat because 717 hp, but frankly, you’ll be plenty happy with 485 hp and not having to listen to that obnoxious supercharger whine. It’s the 6.4-liter V-8 you really want to hear, anyway, and the Challenger lets it sing. Plus, it drinks less gas and saves you 15 grand up front.

I like a car with character, and the Challenger oozes it like an old British car leaks oil. It’s two tons of Americana, all loud V-8 and manual transmission and in your face styling. It’ll never be mistaken for anything else, or any kind of compromise. This car says: I bought exactly what I wanted.

In my case, that’s a Challenger R/T Scat Pack Widebody. I like to go around corners when I’m not cruising, and the wide-track performance suspension lets you do that surprisingly well. Adaptive shocks make for a cushy ride on the boulevards and a competent handler on the back roads. Naturally, I’d upgrade to the optional summer tires because I live where it doesn’t snow, but that’s also why they make winter tires.

What really makes the Challenger, though, is that it’s a lot more practical than it looks. The trunk is huge and the rear seat is comfortable for adults. Sure, they have to climb over the front seats, but I really don’t put people in the back of my car that often. My wife and I don’t have kids and don’t plan to get any, so loading babies isn’t a pressing concern.

Since I’m going all-in on something old-school, I’d keep it simple. Forget all the tech packages and active safety features, and definitely don’t install a sunroof. This car’s heavy enough already. Upgrade my stereo to the mid-tier Alpine system with the subwoofer and I’m good to go. Spray the whole thing in Plum Crazy Purple and let’s hit the road. Me and the Rumble Bee on the fender got places to be.

All in, I’m out the door for under $50,000, a somewhat pricey but reasonable ceiling for a working stiff. Here’s exactly how I would build mine.

The post 2019 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack Widebody: Why I’d Buy It – Scott Evans appeared first on MotorTrend.



from MotorTrend https://ift.tt/2X7Pfgv
via

No comments:

Post a Comment