Tuesday 5 December 2017

2017 Subaru Legacy Sport Long-Term Update 4: Driving With AWD and Using the Nav System

Some readers had a couple questions about Subaru Legacy’s all-wheel-drive system.

You should trademark fam sedan. That’s up there with “Orig Trig” for Star Wars Episodes 4 through 6. The answer to your question is no. It’s not like when you switch a truck into four-wheel drive and it moves like a tank. In poor conditions the AWD will cut down on under- and oversteer, but you won’t feel it unless you look for it.

“Do you believe the Legacy would provide adequate performance in the snow? The Outback is a trooper, but the new Legacys are a sweet ride,” Pete DaCosta of Idaho wanted to know.

The only time I get to really make use of the AWD is when I drive through puddles to blast pedestrians during the rare SoCal rainfall (don’t judge), but I bet it would handle snow like a champ; I’ll see if I can test it out this winter. The Outback has a higher ground clearance (8.7 inches to 5.9), and that might give it an edge in any kind of winter Olympics, but the Legacy would be at home frolicking in white stuff.

It is a camera, but it doesn’t watch for objects or highway lines. This camera is used by the high-beam assist function and measures the intensity of forward light sources to determine if the high-beams can be engaged without frying the retinas of drivers headed toward you. I’ve found after even a few minutes of use you’ll probably want to adjust the settings for the high-beam assist to the low or even minimum setting lest you become infamous for your light insensitivity.

Reader and 10-year, 177,000-mile Subaru veteran Dara said she might be in the market for another Subie and asked how I like the navigation system.

On the occasions I haven’t used my phone for my A to B needs, I’ve found the nav system more than adequate and easy to program (and easy to cancel or mute). But soon I’ll get some time in the 2018 Legacy. A big part of the refreshed 2018 Legacy is an overhaul of Starlink. I’ll have some thoughts in my next update.

READ MORE ABOUT OUR 2017 SUBARU LEGACY SPORT:

The post 2017 Subaru Legacy Sport Long-Term Update 4: Driving With AWD and Using the Nav System appeared first on Motor Trend.



from Motor Trend http://ift.tt/2iXgufQ
via

No comments:

Post a Comment